In the words of a self-proclaimed prince,
“summer summer summertime time to sit back and unwind”
As a kid summertime used to mean something to me.
- days at the pool playing “Marco….Polo!”
- hours at the video arcade trying to “beat” Ms. Pac-Man or that X-Men multiplayer game.
- popsicles and ice cream trucks.
- hot pavement and Supersoakers.
- dollar kids’ movies at the theater.
- soccer or basketball games that ended when the fireflies/lightning bugs began to emerge from the grass.
- trips to the library to read the books I REALLY enjoyed (yeah, I was a reader).
- later sunsets, more playtime.
- no school!
- talking on the phone to friends for hours.
However, even in the midst of urgency to do, do, do I have a greater desire to enjoy the moment. There’s a part of my personality that loves to plan ahead. The summer before my freshman year in high school I began researching universities. Yes, I said freshman year. When I started my first full-time job with benefits I started digging into retirement info (at the age of 25). But then there is a part of me that is spontaneous. One day (not recently) I got into the car to go to work, but ended up at a beach….located two hours away from where I lived at the time. I needed to mentally detox, some time to give my frazzled brain cells an opportunity to calm down. I needed to stop rushing around from one thing to the next, spending all my waking hours planning for the future and doing. For me summer is like that day at the beach: un-rushed, leisurely, tranquil, steadying.
August is almost half-way through. Soon the school buses will be rolling again and the days will get shorter again. In the meantime I am enjoying my extended moment at the beach for as long as I can. Summer-summer-summertime. 😉
What’s your favorite thing about summertime?